[OSGeo-Discuss] Open File Formats and Proprietary Algorithms

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Aug 24 04:49:51 PDT 2009

I regularly use the gdal tools and python  to convert/reproject the NAIP
county mosaics from UTM to NC State Plane in a Quarter Quad format.  It
really doesn't take that long on  a 64-bit linux box with a couple of big
hard drives.  Once you get things out of MrSid format, things go pretty
quickly.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             Eric Wolf
             <ebwolf at gmail.com
             Sent by:                  OSGeo Discussions
             discuss-bounces at l         <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
             ists.osgeo.org                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/20/2009 04:53          Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open File
             PM                        Formats and Proprietary Algorithms

             Please respond to
             OSGeo Discussions
             <discuss at lists.os
                 geo.org>

Interesting... I can understand why NAIP was in MRSID. It's a pretty large
dataset - and I think .SID was more widely supported than JP2 until
recently. The USDA site does provide links to PCI Geomatics FreeView, which
can read .SID format but not save it. IrfanView, with a plugin, can read
SID format and convert. So it's not a dead-end format. And it sure beats
SDTS!

I think data interchange and real interoperability has only recently been
possible for large raster datasets. It's still a chore if you have to
re-project large raster datasets. This may add some content to a research
paper I'm working on.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:22 PM, Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> wrote:
  Eric,

  The imagery I am talking about is from the USDA APFO:

  This FAQ contains a snippet about the format:

  http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/apfoapp?area=home&subject=prog&topic=nai

  In an interesting turn of events I note that as of 2008, the USDA is
  releasing the county mosaics in JP2 format, not in MRSID. I am not sure
  what brought about this change, and I wasn’t aware that it had been made.
  The same web page indicates that there is a shapefile index for the
  individual image tiles.

  It appears that you can also download the county mosaics online.

  A lot of this has changed (improved) in the last couple of years. I’m
  glad I checked again. That being said, the principles from our discussion
  still apply. :]

  Landon

  Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268

  Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658