[OSGeo-Discuss] Quick hello and request for assistance finding Open Source

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 3 15:29:25 PST 2009

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) wrote:
> BUT I can't find any tool that allows me to calculate the minimum
> distance between polygons and indicate the direction of the polygon.

Simon,

I see the GEOS library has a Distance() operator that will test the closest
distance between two geometries, and also, in the C++ API, a
DistanceOp::nearestPoints() method that returns the nearest points on two
passed in geometries.

 From this I imagine you could construct the rest of what you need in a C++
program.  While this should be a relatively easy C++ programming activity,
I will admit that isn't the same as a user oriented tool.

Best regards,