[OSGeo-Discuss] WCS/WMS accuracy tests?

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Wed Dec 9 05:03:31 PST 2009

Hi all,

I've finished my tests.
The conclusion:
Geoserver has a bug which offsets all the results by half a pixel, this is a known issue with the definition of the location of a pixel. Added to this there’s the no-data border which appears with non-native, non-multiple requests. I presume that will be gone once the pixel issue is resolved.

Mapserver doesn’t offset the data unless it is physically impossible (non-native, non-multiple resolutions, extents which don’t snap to source data) but produces a multi-band geotiff where the source data is single band.

Deegree has a bug which offsets some of the results, but I don’t know what causes it and although it is resolution-related I don’t see a pattern. It also produces a multi-band geotiff instead of a single band.

The full report can be found at:
http://blog.minst.net/2009/12/09/perceived-wcs-inaccuracy (slow site warning)

The issue for Geoserver can be found at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-3702
The issue for Deegree can be found at http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1216&group_id=27&atid=212
For mapserver I didn't file a bug since I'm not entirely sure if the GeoTiff multi-band image is me or mapserver and I didn't inverstigate it any further.

If there are any questions or remarks let me know

regards,
Steven