[OSGeo-Discuss] Software Copyright ownership

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Mon Dec 14 13:34:44 PST 2009

The other issue with assigning code copyrights to a US-based organisation is a simple one. The US has the strongest software patent machine and the most supportive courts (if you pick your state carefully ;) ).

As FOSSGIS applications bite ever harder into the profits of the dominant player(s), the chance of the game being changed to a legal one rather than a sales and marketing one is pretty high; a fight OSGeo couldn't afford to be in.

Chris