[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:12:19 PST 2009

A couple of links to reviews of desktop clients at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies#Review_of_Open_Source_Desktop_Clients

In particular Stefan's summary of clients is the best I've seen so far.
http://www.spatialserver.net/osgis/ is quite comprehensive.

The steps I see toward kicking off a Desktop comparison at FOSS4G are:

1. One person to step forward and offer to drive the comparison through
to completion. (This can be a couple of people, but it usually starts
with one). Effectively act as a project coordinator, setting up wiki
pages, contacting potential parties, ensuring scope is capped. Paul
Ramsey, Andrea Aime and Jeff McKenna seemed to be the driving people
behind the WMS shootout. If you are reading this and think you might be
able to fill this role, then please speak up.

2. The key projects need to be contacted, and at least one volunteer
identified for each project. Ideally, there will be at least 3/4 of the
projects represented. Within a year or two, any potential gis desktop
user will start their search for clients by reviewing the results of the
Desktop shootout, so projects represented in the shootout will become
the dominant projects. (This is why it will be important for projects to
get on board)

3. Between the volunteers, and led by the coordinator, a set of
benchmark tests should be set up. This will probably include a core set
of tests that everyone should do relatively easily, and optional tests
that each project can do to show off their application.

4. Lots of hard work setting up environments, and running tests. Hence
it is important to start early if we want to have a good showing at foss4g.

5. Just before foss4g: Pens down, collate results, present.