[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Dec 22 13:15:45 PST 2009

> So if this is true, then that means that 80% of GIS users are asking
> the question, "Why should I use desktop open source XXX instead of ESRI?"

I get more questions asking about the differences between FOSS projects
than between FOSS and proprietary products.  If people are already
coming to FOSS4G, or to OSGeo in some other way, they likely already
want to use open source but want help choosing a path.

I do agree that many wonder how we stack up to proprietary but I hope we
stick to what we know best.  That is, unless proprietary folks join the
shootout.  :)

Just a thought,
Tyler