[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Will there be an OSGeo Desktop shootout atFOSS4G 2010?

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Wed Dec 23 07:15:36 PST 2009

Hi all,

Helena Mitasova wrote:
> I have been promising Charlie to put this under OSGeo Edu svn for a
> long time, but I keep updating
> and improving it so it is never finished - I guess it will never be so
> I may as well upload it. I have created
> NCSU directory there and we started a coastal lidar data analysis
> tutorial -
> http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/education/UnderDevelopment/
> (see more about the edu svn here
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Subversion_edu_instructions)

Great discussion thread and let's indeed pick it up in the edu group.
Helena, your side by side set of assignments and solutions looks great
and thanks for your efforts on the subversion front.
Regarding the comparison idea --here's a link [1] of this type of
comparison in proprietary statistics packages created at UCLA (not open
source). It provides another example of the kind of thing we might be
working toward.

FYI - I've contacted the lead editor of the University Consortium for
Geographic Information Science (David DiBase, at Penn State -- Ian
Turton's colleague I imagine) about the possible use of their
Geographic Information Science & Technology Body of Knowledge [2] as an
organizational framework for educational material as a group we continue
to develop and share. I'm awaiting his response. Using this I think
we should try and collect and build material like what Helena has done
and link it to appropriate places in this BoK framework.

I'd like to create a subcommittee to help build this OSGeo edu
"organizational scaffolding" and hold a meeting of this subcommittee
over Skype in January. *Please email me if you'd like to be on this
subcommittee*.

Thanks and enjoy whatever holiday you might be celebrating, and I look
forward to making 2010 a "watershed year" for the OSGeo edu effort.

Cheers
Charlie

[1] http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/mult_pkg/whatstat/default.htm.
[2] http://www.ucgis.org/priorities/education/modelcurriculaproject.asp