[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Top ten myths for open source in geo?

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Thu Jan 22 10:40:18 PST 2009

Michael P. Gerlek schrieb:
> I've already gotten a bunch of great replies, off-list and on-list, but I think I may not have been clear in my mail: I'm specifically looking for myths that might be directly related to the geo side of the open source world.

Well, no myths but questions ore statements I was confronted with:

-"what can I do with this data?"

I think some people are not familiar with the freedom of free geodata.

-"Quality has to cost something"

Some people don't want to talk with you, if you mention datasets are
free. But that're probably these ones who never heard about FOSS

-"What benefits do I have if I contribute?"

Even if they are using FOSS they still ask what the get back if the
share documentation, patches etc.

...just a few thoughts

Lars