[OSGeo-Discuss] multipatch shapefile FIRST_RING structure

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 10:50:12 PST 2009

Frank and Peter,
Maybe we we need an ogr_cleaner app that can read in poorly structured
shapefiles and normalize them to the standard. Maybe even a general topology
cleaner that's file-format agnostic. Sounds like a fun summer project for a
CompSci student.

And are shapefiles really being used much in the 3D world? I figured they
were simply the legacy of ArcView - which is why you never really encounter
shapefiles with Z values or Multipatch.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                          720-209-6818
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography