[OSGeo-Discuss] opensource GIS case studies

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Jun 3 02:29:16 PDT 2009

Maxim Dubinin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're preparing a roundtable discussion on the topic of Opensource GIS
> to  take place on rather big GIS event in Russia in about a week and I
> looking   for  some  information  that  can  attract  more  users  and
> developers  to  geospatial  opensource.  The  audience  will be rather
> diverse,  governmental officials, business, researchers. My goal is to
> make  a  stronger  point on the benefits of opensource GIS software by
> including  some  numbers  or  case  studies  clearly illustrating such
> benefits.
>
> I have plenty of info on what software is there and how it can be
> used, but not much on the monetary side.
>
> I will be helpful for any hints, links etc that can provide
> examples of the actual use of osgis software especially by businesses
> and governments, comparisons, benefits or may be problems. I studied
> OSGeo case studies wiki already and was wondering if there are some
> classics I've missed.
>
> I'd be also grateful for any suggestion from the people who may be already
> coordinated or participated in such discussion. Thanks in advance.

Maxim,

I'm not sure why these aren't in a more obvious place but I dug up pdf
versions of the Journal vol 1-3
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_2/en-us/OSGeoJournal_vol2.pdf
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_3/en-us/OSGeoJournal_vol3.pdf
http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/journal/volume_1/en-us/final_pdfs/OSGeoJournal_vol1.pdf

I'll see about getting them linked in a more obvious place.

Thanks,
Alex