[OSGeo-Discuss] Desktop metadata management for FOSS4G

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Mon Jun 8 13:32:29 PDT 2009

Yes.  For us, this would help our work flow.  A plugin for Quantum would
work great.  (I also just read Alex's email about qgismetaedit.  Cool!)

It would be great for a desktop GIS to update some basic metadata
elements, like updated date, coordinate system, bounding box in
projected and geo coordinates, and maybe a couple of others.
Personally, I don't care about things like listing all columns/data
types of a vector attribute table, or listing processing steps, or
embedding an thumbnail image.  Sometimes they're nice but often just bloat.

Currently, we use GeoNetwork to manually edit metadata in our public
repository and then save it locally as an XML file to include some with
direct downloads.  If we could reverse the process (create locally on
desktop and save as XML, TXT, etc.., then push up to GeoNetwork), and at
the same time have some basic fields updated automatically, that would help.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware
227 Academy St, Newark DE 19716-7501
Tel: (302) 831-3584
Email: john.callahan at udel.edu
http://www.dgs.udel.edu