[OSGeo-Discuss] ISO 19115

Ted Habermann Ted.Habermann at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 24 08:08:28 PDT 2009

Landon et al.,

I agree completely that there is a critical need for information on the
ISO standards and that that information is unlikely to emerge from ISO
in the same way that it emerged from the FGDC. A couple of things that
might be helpful:

1. Examples
NGDC has a web accessible folder with roughly 1000 ISO records in four
groups at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published/19115/NESDIS_Products/1list.html
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published/19115/NGDC/1list.html
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published/19115/NOSA/1list.html
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published/19115/NCDC_RSE/1list.html

These records were created from FGDC content (with remote sensing
extensions) that is available at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata/published/. At present I think they
provide a fairly good picture of what ISO content can be created from
FGDC records, although they are still being improved as my understanding
of ISO improves...

We are currently working on migrating both versions of these records
into a GeoNetwork instance at NGDC.

2. ISO Experience / Tutorials
The international ISO 191* community is growing and gaining momentum. I
think that a wiki is a good tool for taking advantage of that community
for creating and sharing ISO experience. Right now I have ISO content on
two wikis (both of these have self-signed certificates so you need to
make a security exception in FireFox):

The NGDC ISO wiki is at
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/wiki/index.php?title=ISO_Metadata_Standard.
The top part of this page is an attempt to organize the information
around metadata needs expressed as (somewhat rhetorical) questions. The
pages that present the answers to those questions are places for
explanations of the standards and XML examples. The second section of
this page is aimed at presenting the same sort of information organized
around the structure of the ISO standard. It is probably behind the
first section in terms of time I have been able to spend...

Some groups in NOAA are experimenting with a wiki as a place for Data
Management Guidance and Best Practices. This wiki is at
https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/dmc/swg/wiki/index.php. It needs some
reorganization, but there is some similar metadata content on the page:
https://www.nosc.noaa.gov/dmc/swg/wiki/index.php?title=Metadata_Opportunities_and_Use_Cases
One of my goals is to migrate the content from the NGDC wiki to this one
and to focus future activity here.

3. FGDC Document
The FGDC is producing a tutorial that focuses on the North American
Profile. I believe that Lynda Wayne at FGDC is leading that effort. I
think the plan is that the document will be available when NAP is
approved...

Hope that helps,
Ted