[OSGeo-Discuss] osgeo4w setup.exe source code?

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Wed Mar 4 15:08:56 PST 2009

> > Is setup.exe the best way to install software on microsoft windows?
> >
> > Has Windows Installer, that is an .msi file been considered?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_installer
> >
> > I know that my IT section has a strong preference for software
> > to be installed via .msi.

> Nick,

> Originally we were hopeful about being able to produce MSI files as these
> are considered to be easier for some IT departments to deploy.  But in
> the end it did not appear that MSI files provide support for many of the
> things we wanted to address.  Notably - fine grained packages,
dependencies,
> upgrade versioning, and only downloading the parts that are needed from
the
> net.

> I would like to think that the OSGeo4W .tar.bz2 package files could still
> be repackaged as MSI files for specific situations.

Perhaps I should provide some context.

My department deploys software using Novell ZENworks, also known as
NAL (Novell Application Launcher).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell_ZENworks

In the past we have had struggled with software that is provided
as a setup.exe but software provided as an .msi works well.

But I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be .msi as long
as it plays well with ZENworks.

Also, since the majority of people in my organisation do not have
access to the net, it would be necessary for all files to
be included in the NAL object.

Is anyone else in a similar situation?

nick

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.