[OSGeo-Discuss] Transition fromGMaps to Open Source

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:53:05 PDT 2009

Folks, hello, and I wonder if anyone can share experiences doing such
a transition.  (I've tried this question with the OpenLayers groups
without response but it was suggested that this group might help.)

Background:  I've written a free, Open Source Computer-Aided Dispatch
application targeted to the public safety community, notably ham radio
groups who kick into gear during emergency/crisis conditions.  It
relies on GMaps API and imagery currently.

But under emergency conditions which comprise the reasons for this
community's existence, internet connectivity to Google  may not exist
of course.  Accordingly, I'm planning a version of the app in which
the tile sets and API are resident at a local server.  Hence my strong
interest in open solutions.

I can't imagine I'm the only one here doing anything like that, so
I'll appreciate hearing re experiences doing this, plus, especially,
thoughts on the tile sets available.  Thanks, all.

Arnold Shore
Annapolis, MD