[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS_Libraries

Picavet Vincent Vincent.Picavet at mediapost.fr
Tue May 5 09:40:36 PDT 2009

Hi,
Some more precision.

> Let's say ShapeLib is published under GPL (I don't know
> whether or not it is; this is only for illustration purpose).
> Let's say, MapServer utilizes ShapeLib, but doesn't modify
> ShapeLib, but uses ShapeLib as is. Let's say, MapServer's
> creator decides to make millions off of MapServer, Inc. He is
> under no obligation to release the source code of MapServer,
> but he is obligated to release the source code of ShapeLib,
> which is no big deal, because the source code of ShapeLib is
> already available to anyone.
> On the other hand, let's say, ShapeLib is modified to perform
> better, or differently, for MapServer. Now, there is an
> obligation to release the source code to the modified version
> of ShapeLib no matter what the value of that value-added
> might be. That is what the GPL obligates.
> MapServer itself is still governed by whatever license that
> its creator decides to apply.

It depends what you call <utilizes>. If Mapserver links with the
ShapeLib library, the latter being under GPL licence, then its source
code has to be released. This is the <contaminating> part of GPL.
The situation you describe is true if ShapeLib is under LGPL. If it is
under GPL, everything linked to it must be under a GPL-compliant
licence.

As Daniel says, GPL code can not be embedded in or linked to a closed
source application. Period.

Please also note that the GPL licence does not prevent any commercial
usage of the software.

Hopes this helps to clarify things.
Vincent