[OSGeo-Discuss] GIS_Libraries

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue May 5 13:23:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 10:09:50PM +0200, Cuinet Jérôme wrote:
> I'm curious and I have seen the GNU libc license, and it's obviously GPL.

It's not GPL, it's LGPL.

 "Released under the GNU Lesser General Public License, glibc is free software."

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_C_Library

> According to this thread, if I have well understood the GPL, all software
> linked with glibc are licensed under GPL ?

If glibc was GPL, yes.

> I had seen
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#PortProgramToGL wich
> suggest that a lib such as glibc is under LGPL. But the license text of
> glibc is well the GPL, with the last paragraph : "This General Public
> License does not permit incorporating your program into
> proprietary programs."

Where are you getting the license text of glibc that it says this?
I can't find a license file which indicates this.

> What I have missed ?
>

> Jérôme
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "P Kishor" <punk.kish at gmail.com>

Christopher Schmidt