[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Comparison between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

Cédric Moullet cedric.moullet at camptocamp.com
Sun May 31 08:26:09 PDT 2009

At Camptocamp, we have deployed several production instances of web mapping
applications on Amazon. For example, Map veloland (
http://map.veloland.ch/?lang=en) a 100k+ unique visitors/day is hosted this
way and use several OS software (Puppet, HAproxy, MapServer, TileCache,
Pylons, MapFish, GeoExt, OpenLayers, ExtJS and others).
0$ investment, handle of slashdot effect or scalabality, flexibility are big
advantages of Amazon cloud computing (I'm not an Amazon sales
representative, only an happy user ;-).
Cédric

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Andrew Turner
<ajturner at highearthorbit.com>wrote:

> > On May 30, 2009, at 3:38 PM, "Randy George" <rkgeorge at cadmaps.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Cloud options are looking interesting.
> >>
> >> http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/  Windows, Linux, Solaris options
> >>
> >> I imagine ESRI license entanglement with virtual servers could be a
> >> problem. But no problem at all with Open Source GIS stacks. No license
> >> get tangled with load balancing and auto scaling where servers come and
> go
> >> as needed. Mostly I've seen small business interest since they tend to
> take
> >> overhead costs more seriously.
> >>
> >> It might be useful to include a Cloud based server solution addendum,
> >> because that would be less optimal for an ESRI vendor and could look
> good
> >> compared to in-house hardware.
>
> We found it much better to own our entire solution (GeoIQ) due to
> this. It's built either with our own pieces, or open-source pieces -
> so we can deploy it to cloud, appliances, whatever without concern for
> ToU, licensing, etc. It's definitely a huge boon for us as a
> 'business'.
>

> >> Unfortunately, medium and large organizations seem to have budget
> >> allocations already in place for the big ticket approach. But then in
> this
> >> economy even that could be changing.
>
> Yes, that is a questionably valid (and even provably invalid)
> assumption. Big ticket items kick in all kinds of departmental, IT
> team, budgetary, sustainability, etc. questions. They're looking for
> easy entry items that maybe they can even slip into their
> discretionary budgets without invoking too much beauracracy.
>
> Andrew

CTO Geospatial Camptocamp SA
Cédric Moullet
PSE A