[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Location Services

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 01:47:39 PST 2009

P Kishor wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David,
>> LISAsoft has a java implementation of OpenLS which we would like to Open
>> Source if we can find a sponsor to cover our packaging costs.
>>

> What kind of costs are "packaging costs," and what do they amount to
> generally, and for OpenLS, more specifically?

P Kishor,
As you are probably aware, just dumping code into sourceforge is not an
effective way to start a successful Open Source project.
There needs to be suitable  technical documentation, development
processes documentation, web pages set up, issue trackers put in place,
access writes granted to developers, and then have at least one champion
sit on email lists supporting new users.
That is what I consider "packaging costs".

If there is a serious desire, and potential sponsor for this
functionality, then I can talk with the team and work out the costs of
Open Sourcing. (I'll also need to put together a business case to our
management for the value we gain from Open Sourcing over Closed Source
for this product), but I'll take that on separately.

If you have a potential sponsor for this activity, please let me know,
and we can look into it further.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect