[OSGeo-Discuss] distributing "read-only" vector files?

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 06:27:11 PST 2009

Thanks! These are all good suggestions.

> If you are trying to be open, then be open! Look at OpenStreetMap and how
> they do it. They have a page of license violations also.

I know about OSM and  I consider myself an active contributor in my
side of the hemisphere.
On a personal capacity, I come from the let's open geodata camp.  The
work environment is another issue, culture needs to be changed (you
know what I mean).

>fear the day when
> someone hacks you code and frees your data.
I very well know this can happen, but such a proposition to the
management isn't encouraging.

We need to make some compromises for the moment.
--
cheers,
maning