[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Location Services

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 06:50:49 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman at traversetechnologies.com> wrote:
> P Kishor wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Cameron Shorter
>> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> As you are probably aware, just dumping code into sourceforge is not an
>>> effective way to start a successful Open Source project.
>>>

>> The above makes sense, but honestly, I had never heard of this until
>> now, and I have been tinkering with open source for almost a decade
>> now. Most open source projects seemed organic to me. Someone had an
>> itch, they scratched it, they put it out, and the project either
>> gathered traction, or it died. Seems like my scholarship of open
>> source has been lacking in this aspect hugely.
>>

> Actually, the history of successful open source projects (long-lived, widely
> adopted, well supported by a broad community) is very different than "having
> an itch to scratch."

Well said. I apologize for unintentionally making it seem that I was
conflating "itch to scratch" with lack of funds. Not so. Larry Wall
was gainfully employed when he developed Perl and released it into the
wilds. That is well documented. And, as you note below, variations on
this model abound. Our own Steve Lime, bless his heart, was and is
gainfully employed when he developed and continues to develop
MapServer. The nice folks at DM Solutions and Refractions built a
successful business around open source, releasing and benefitting from
their largesse.

That said, the main theme of my enquiry still remains -- I had never
heard of "packaging" costs until now, and am curious about quantifying
them.

Imagine that I am a potential sponsor. You have developed <magic
software> for your own company. A few users are expressing interest in
that software. You write to the user list that you will put that
software into open source were your "packaging" costs met. The
following questions --

1. How much are we talking about here?

2. Of course, any price is worth it if someone is willing to pay it,
but how to determine if the amount being asked in #1 above is
commensurate with the value of the product being considered, and is in
line with the value of similar products?

3. If no one comes up with the packaging costs, would you not put it
into open source, or would you still put it, but just "dump the code
into sourceforge" and let Darwin take care of it?

4. If you do put it in open source without any packaging costs being
paid to you, would you be losing out on any particular revenue other
than the time spent to put it into open source?

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org