[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Location Services

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Nov 3 06:49:27 PST 2009

P Kishor wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> P Kishor wrote:

>>> What kind of costs are "packaging costs," and what do they amount to
>>> generally, and for OpenLS, more specifically?
>>>
>> P Kishor,
>> As you are probably aware, just dumping code into sourceforge is not an
>> effective way to start a successful Open Source project.
>> There needs to be suitable  technical documentation, development processes
>> documentation, web pages set up, issue trackers put in place, access writes
>> granted to developers, and then have at least one champion sit on email
>> lists supporting new users.
>> That is what I consider "packaging costs".
>
> The above makes sense, but honestly, I had never heard of this until
> now, and I have been tinkering with open source for almost a decade
> now. Most open source projects seemed organic to me. Someone had an
> itch, they scratched it, they put it out, and the project either
> gathered traction, or it died. Seems like my scholarship of open
> source has been lacking in this aspect hugely.

Hi Puneet,

I have to run now, so I don't have time for a long answer, but I just
wanted to add that Cameron is right... unfortunately it's not as simple
as setting up a project on sourceforge even if it may seem to be that
way from the user's perspective.

I have been through the process of open sourcing projects several times
over the last 10 years, and did it again a few weeks ago with the
GeoPrisma launch. I think we are getting better at it as we gain
experience, and can confirm that those packaging costs and planning
requirements are real and need to be taken into account for a successful
project launch. Another aspect to consider that I don't think was
mentioned is to balance the pros and cons of open sourcing and not doing
it on your own business and on the project/product itself.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/