[OSGeo-Discuss] Regarding The Microstation DGN Maps georeferencing [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Sun Nov 15 18:25:05 PST 2009

Padmini,

It has been a long, long time since I used MicroStation, however this may help.

Typically it will depend on the people who captured the data that you are working with:

- some are only concerned with the immediate vicinity of their
  engineering project and will arbitrarily define a local (cartesian)
  grid with a datum point of (0,0) or similar and work with these coordinates.

- others will be quite pedantic and work with projected coordinates
  e.g. UTM coords within their design files.

With the first example, you'll have to find the relationship between the arbitrary datum and your Spatial Reference System and transform the data.

With the second example, if you know the source SRS try just applying it.

Now being good spatial professionals, your data providers will have provided spatial metadata (at least ISO 19139) with their spatial datasets, so you'll be able to easily work out the lineage of the data sets that were provided to you and work out the appropriate course of action.

HTH.

Bruce