[OSGeo-Discuss] new: OSGeo women mailing list

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 16 12:51:21 PST 2009

> Maybe my statement was misunderstood?
>
> I meant to say that members of the open source project discussed
> what we
> might do to encourage the participation of more women in the
> project. I
> think there was recognition across the board that the project
> would have
> benefited from more diversity.
>
> I'm wondering if efforts to get young women more involved in
> math and
> science could be combined with encouraging them to try
> volunteering with
> an OSGeo project?

Hi Landon,

I understand, please bear with me, I'm probably the unclear one.  Some of the women I know very well (one in particular :) tend to find it a wee bit condescending to be treated like a "special" group when in reality they are fully capable of joining projects they are interested in.

Speaking of open source software, if fewer women are involved I just assume they aren't as interested.. just like any other group of people that make their own choices regardless of what others think would be optimal.

It's not a big deal to me, but I've been briefed on the subject from my wife's angle regularly over the years so I feel compelled to pass it on :-)

Best wishes,
Tyler