[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo barriers to entry

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 16 14:07:09 PST 2009

Thanks for the discussion Landon.  I'll leave Pandora well enough alone :)

Perhaps we can turn the thread to discussing what are the real or perceived barriers people, in general, find to getting involved with OSGeo.   I'm sure that any barriers women would have might also affect others, so it might be useful to broaden the discussion so more participate.

1 What barriers are there to joining OSGeo and its projects?
2 How can we be more inviting?  Have you heard negative comments from potential members?  Are there any reasons you might not invite a colleague to join?
3 How can we encourage more people to contribute to our projects or join  with the OSGeo mission?
4 What areas in OSGeo and its projects need more helpers?

5 What are the most interesting/compelling aspects?

I'm sure there are more pointed questions but these are just off the top of my head.

Best wishes,
Tyler