[OSGeo-Discuss] role of foundation with regard to licensing

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Nov 18 18:13:43 PST 2009

Hey-

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Tim,
>
> The PSC is considered to be a committee of the foundation, and in
> particular
> it's representative is considered to be an officer of the foundation
> (corporation) giving them some ability to speak for the foundation legally.

Ok.  I didn't get this from a read of
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Steering_Committees (the part about
consideration as a committee and PSC rep as officer of foundation).

I think this answers my question.  I didn't know how formal the
arrangement was (or even needs to be).

>  >> I imagine this would happen with some constraints from the
> foundation (e.g.
>>> OSI approved licenses only)
>>>
>>> I know that in practice, this is probably the way things already are.
>>> Why
>>> rock the boat?  Why assign copyright to OSGeo in the first place [2]?
>
> The primary reason to assign copyright to OSGeo is to make it easier to
> relicense in the future.  It is very hard to relicense a project with
> copyright
> held by many contributors.

Right.  The reason I was asking was because I assumed the copyright
assignment was primarily about relicensing.  Finding no information
specifically on how the foundation determines what license to use, I was
unsure how things would go in practice.

Sounds like the process goes like this (if OSGeo holds copyright):

1) PSC votes on license
2) PSC chair advises OSGeo board
3) OSGeo board decides on license

Perhaps all this seems obvious.  As the chair of the OpenLayers PSC, I
was asking for clarification on the process because the PSC has been
discussing both copyright assignment and relicensing.  I just wanted to
know who to talk to if/when we make any decisions.  Sounds like the
OSGeo board.

Just added http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Licensing

All mushy language.  If someone wants to firm it up (or delete it),
please do.

Thanks,
Tim

--