[OSGeo-Discuss] Question about FOSS4G Business Models

Martin Seiler martin.seiler at gmx.de
Mon Nov 23 23:00:09 PST 2009

Hi Daniele,

> It would be great if some of the business leaders in the OSGeo community
> could
> provide me with inputs for the report. Your input will not only
> help me convince them that FOSS4G is worth it
> (I am already convinced, but need some data to support my
> claim) but also help me to understand the business models better.

There is a paper from Arnulf Christl you might already know of:

"Free Software and Open Source Business Models"

@INCOLLECTION{christl2008,
  author = {Christl, Arnulf},
  title = {Free Software and Open Source Business Models},
  booktitle = {Open Source Approaches in Spatial Data Handling},
  publisher = {Springer},
  year = {2008},
  editor = {G. Brent Hall and Michael G. Leahy},
  pages = {21--48},
  }

You can find the chapter for download here:

http://swbplus.bsz-bw.de/bsz284302910kap.pdf

Hope this helps,

Martin