[Fwd: RE: [OSGeo-Discuss] GDAL and ESRI]

Arnulf Christl arnulf at osgeo.org
Wed Nov 25 09:21:44 PST 2009

[...]
> HI Ravi,
> There is a nice term describing how GPL works - "viral effect". If you
> "touch" GPL you will be GPeLd to GPL yourself.
> Unlike the flue ... there is not cure (-;
>
> Best regards:
> RAf

I suggest to not use the term "viral effect" but rather call it a
"vaccine".

"Viral effect" reeks of FUD intended to make .us look like bacilli.

Vaccine is more appropriate because people generally consciously choose
to get it knowing perfectly well what they are doing. Viruses instead
are nasty and jump on you without politely asking beforehand.

It may be unconventional to fight a well known Meme like "viral effect"
but that does not make is any more appropriate.

:-)

Will need to add this to [[Category:Advocacy]] some day...

--
Arnulf Christl
President OSGeo