[OSGeo-Discuss] desktop gis comparison at code sprint foss4g

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 00:48:32 PDT 2009

Hi all, but mainly QGis-sers and gvSig-gers (I am now speaking as uDig-ger).
In Italy in November we have our annual GFOSS conference and this year
we proposed a workshop in which desktop GIS are compared.
So what should happen, is that we create a list of tasks that then are
shown/compared on every GIS during the workshop, in order to highlight
the strenghts of every GIS and hide the weaknesses behind the
availability of other possibilities.
At the Italian conference QGis/grass, gvSig/sextante and
uDig/JGrass/Axios will be put into the game, which is why I mainly
address those groups now, but obviously others are welcome.

I would really love to give this thing a ride before the November
conference, since it is a first try for me. Therefore I was wondering
if some QGis and GvSIG poweruser would be available during the
Saturday codesprint for comparison on some tasks together with the
uDig team.

That said, I would love to hear from anyone what he would like to see
tested in such a comparison, browsing from the easiest line creation
to the most particular and odd reprojection.
For that I just opened a small subsection in the uDig code sprint
area: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Code_Sprint#The_desktop_comparison_tasks_list
Feel free to add whatever comes to your mind.

Thanks,
Andrea