[OSGeo-Discuss] The Best API for accessing map/geospatial server

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 16:06:56 PDT 2009

> hi all
>
> i just got Java Geotools as an Java API to access the geospatial server based on WMS (OGC)

Correct.

> any one have experience with this kind of things?

Some :-)

> i just want to treat the server as database.

You want the Web Feature Server then.

> so all geospatial server is database, this API is look like ODBC or JDBC

You will find the GeoTools "DataStore" api lets you treat it like a
database; and indeed lets you handle Shapefile / Web Feature Server
and Databases in a similar fashion (with transactions and queries
etc...).

For more information visit our website and try:
http://geotools.org/examples/querylab.html

Changing the connection parameters will allow you to connect to
different things.

Jody