[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Rafal Wawer Rafal.Wawer at sadl.kuleuven.be
Wed Sep 30 11:29:19 EDT 2009

Hi Frank,
For your end-users I see a lot of opportunities in developing countries, where the cost of software licenses is far to high for the budgets thay have. Naturally, some of the users use cracks, but it won't be that easy enymore, especially in the domain of web services.
OSGeo could support education in FOSS4G in those countries - with active marketing, sending information letters to the bodies responsible for mapping and environment. OSGeo could also participate in dvelopment projects - like those small grants of GSDI, providing FOSS solutions, not mentioning European FP7 projects addressing Africa.
For know the quite steep learning curve to get into FOSS4G is very often keeping the potential users away.

Is OSGeo targeting those users now? If you look onto the map of registered members: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member, well, not everyone added himself to the map, but enyway, Africa, Asia and South America look quite empty (-;

Best regards:
Raf

Dr. Rafal Wawer
K.U.Leuven
R&D Division SADL (Spatial Application Division)
Celestijnenlaan 200e bus 2224
BE-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
Belgium
tel. 0032 16 329731