A reminder on terminology (was: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Lurkers)

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 4 02:37:36 PDT 2009

Folks,
just a little reminder that we should be careful in terminology (because
it came up in this thread several times already, this it is not a
specific criticism of your content, Ravi).

The term "commercial software" [1] does *not* exclude Free and Open
Source software. Therefore it does not make sense to use it to contrast
it to FOSS [2]. It is thus a confusing misnomer. Carelessness of use
works in favor of FUD [3] on Open Source. Ignorance of the underlying
concepts and misusing the term "commercial" [4] discredits all
undertakings that provide commercial services for Open Source software
(like these [5]).

Please use "proprietary software" instead. For further details you may
want to scan the OSGeo Advocacy category [7] (it is a Wiki, feel free to
hack and extend it).

Best regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_software
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html