[OSGeo-Discuss] Documenting GIS Data Models (Again): Using DXF

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Sep 9 12:48:16 PDT 2009

I posted a few weeks back I posted about possible ways to document and
share GIS data models. I decided to move forward with a graphical
approach.

I started building diagrams to document my GIS data model for the Public
Land Survey System in the United States. I am drawing these diagrams in
a CAD program. When I get things ironed out I hope to release the
following items to the GIS community:

-          My completed GIS data model in DXF format that can be used as
an example or template for other models.

-          A set of CAD "blocks" that can be used to build similar
diagrams.

If I like how things come together with the diagrams, I might try
converting the diagrams to SVG. The diagrams would be much prettier in
SVG, but I am quicker with CAD than I am with Inkscape, and I want to
get a prototype completed quickly.

This will make a lot more sense when you get to see the example
diagrams.

I welcome any collaboration on this effort. If there is interest, I
could move this discussion to the Standards mailing list. It would be
great to get input from interested parties now, while the diagrams are
still taking shape.

Landon

Warning: