[OSGeo-Discuss] Documenting GIS Data Models (Again): Using DXF

Brian Russo brian at beruna.org
Wed Sep 9 14:48:52 PDT 2009

I think it's an interesting problem to solve (Sharing gis models/processes),
but...

* Way too heavyweight for us, I don't have time/interest to build &
maintain sheets of DXFs manually
* Of little practical use for us since our processes typically grow pretty
organically with small meetings and whiteboards/stickies, eventually we are
going to stop maintaining these 'heavy' model diagrams.
* Probably more useful for very large teams defining massive workflows with
well-defined requirements/outputs, but I don't really work on those types of
problems often (nor personally know many that really do anymore - and they'd
probably already have some dialect of UML or ERM)
* Can't easily convert those DXFs into GDB/DB schemas or into the processes
themselves, etc, so hence little use at the tech level

It might be more useful to define a simple standardized set of symbols that
handles 80% of what we do, and then for more complex processes just lets you
name it, treat them like blackboxes and just annotate them or something.
Personally I would just probably use simple data flow & entity-relationship
diagrams. If there was a simple system that modelled common spatial analysis
processes via symbols then I might be interested in that.

I'm skeptical on the real world utility of building/maintaining large sets
of diagrams that A) Don't fit into the business process generation/capture
processes and B) Don't easily convert into the actual code/schemas
underlying.

Perhaps figure out what the problem you're really trying to solve is. I.e.
What am I trying to achieve via sharing models?

- bri