[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Insurance for contractors?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at traversetechnologies.com
Mon Sep 14 17:23:09 PDT 2009

Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
> * in the US, sole proprietorship is the way to go for simple one-person, garage-based shops

Having contracted as both a sole proprietorship and a corporation, I'd
qualify that one.  Sole proprietorship is easy, but.....

- you don't get quite as many tax benefits

- you open yourself up to a lot of personal liability, even with
insurance - if you have any serious assets (say a house or stock
portfolio that hasn't completely tanked), putting a corporate shell
between you and a lawsuit provides some serious protection

- you can simplify some of the paperwork by incorporating as either
Subchapter S or an LLC

Miles