[OSGeo-Discuss] Board election - Claude Philipona

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Sat Sep 26 13:55:46 PDT 2009

Hello Everyone, Community and Charter Members,

I have been involved in Free and Open Source since the mid-90's, when
I created a social website dedicated to ski touring and mountaineering
aficionados, where people could exchange live information about snow
condition (avalanche), path, trails and routes. At that time already,
not only the free software was important to me, but also all the
aspect to freely exchange, distribute data and information coming from
the community or  different sources. The www.camptocamp.org websites
are still alive and are now managed by a not for profit foundation.

I spent most of the last 8 years with the creation and management of
Camptocamp.com, a Free and Open Source company based in Switzerland
and France, active mostly in geoinformatics.

I've been participating in OSGeo conference committee since the
beginning of OSGeo as I was strongly involved in the organization of
FOSS4G 2006 in Lausanne.

With my background, I'm at the crossing of Open Source business,
project communities and academic world. I think that I really could
contribute to OSGeo future with these multiple point of views. I'm
sure that there is still a lot to do to improve synergies between
communities and projects made by companies, agencies using FOS
Software. One of my goal at the board would be to work on those
aspects, because I'm convinced that, with the quality and maturity of
OSGeo software stack, communities deserve a better and higher return
rate from the quite big projects using FOSS now days.

Finally I give also a special thank to Yves Jacolin, who spontaneously
asked me if I would accept a nomination for the board election and who
is doing a very good job for OSGeo-fr chapter and the French
localization of several pieces of software.

Claude Philipona