[OSGeo-Discuss] proposal of new mailing list - graphics

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Wed Sep 30 00:42:40 PDT 2009

Hi Chris,

Your initiative is great and we should definitely combine our efforts.

Cytowanie Chris Holmes <cholmes at opengeo.org>:
> Note also that a bit ago we started 'geosilk', see
>
> http://projects.opengeo.org/geosilk
> http://blog.opengeo.org/2009/05/01/geosilk/
>
> These extend the 'silk' icon set which is widely used on the web,
> borrowing geospatial icons from the uDig icons:
>
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/Imagery

When I have started this project almost two years ago, silk icons were also
considered as base. But their size was not what we needed for GRASS.
>From my point of view, the most important issue are consistent methaphors, with
potential of scalability. If we can elaborate common set, the rest will be
easy.
Important issue are also (new) standards, like WMS, WFS, etc. I was looking for
their symbols without success, so started to propose mine vision. But it should
be done after discussion.

> We're using them in the GeoServer admin console and in GeoExt, and are
> definitely excited for more people to make use of them and for
> collaboration.  It'd be great to sync up somehow with the gis icons,
> though it looks like ours are a bit more space constrained.

So your goal are 16x16px and mine 24x24px (&22x22px). What graphic software do
you use?

Robert