[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Cédric Moullet cedric.moullet at camptocamp.com
Wed Sep 30 07:28:20 PDT 2009

Hi,

I read these interesting answers and I'd like to bring my point of view. I
know, I'm quite new in the OSGEO world (1 year, previously by Autodesk and
other "porprietary" structures), but I'm sorry (and unhappy) to say that the
GIS leaders (ESRI, Autdoesk, Intergraph etc...) don't see OSGEO has an
important contradictor: from my point of view, this is what needs to be
changed in the next 5 years.

I see several reasons that explain the current situation:
- The majority of OSGEO software are dependent of a few heroic developers or
a few heroic companies that have nothing in comparison with the GIS leaders.
With the same idea, the OSGEO is depending of a few persons that have
another job and do that "as extra" (how many incubation requests pending ?)
- There is almost no marketing (comparing to GIS leaders) done around the
OSGEO Software
- A large part of the GIS market is not addressed by OSGEO Software. I'm
particularly thinking to the industry that need to invest billions of
dollars (if you don't believe me, please ask Geoff ;-) and OSGEO has for now
no stacks that is able to answer these need.
- The OSGEO is very developer centric and probably need more input from
management, end user, marketing etc...

That's only my analysis of the situation. But I think that if the OSGEO
foundation wants to reach its gooal: "Created to support and build the
highest-quality open source geospatial software. Our goal is to encourage
the use and collaborative development of community-led projects.", it needs
to define a clear direction and make some consequent investments.

Sorry if theses comments are crude, only my 2 cents,

Cédric

CTO Geospatial Camptocamp SA
Cédric Moullet
PSE A