[OSGeo-Discuss] Next 5 years for OSGeo

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 30 11:20:28 PDT 2009

"Jacolin Yves" <yjacolin at free.fr> wrote:
> Hello Cédric,
>
> I think more people think same as you relating this point of view :) :
>
> Le Wednesday 30 September 2009 16:28:20 Cédric Moullet, vous avez écrit :
>> The OSGEO is very developer centric and probably need more input from
>> management, end user, marketing etc...

Thanks for the great discussion,

I can relate to Yves and Cédric's comments.  Cédric's comment is the primary
feedback I get from end users, local chapters and developers alike.  They
ask for more information and material to share with others at events or
meetings, etc.  They don't tend to point out technical barriers to their
projects success, they already know and love a project and just want to tell
others about it.  Of course we all have our software feature wishlists of
functionality but I don't think most of us expect OSGeo to be the venue for
developing them.  Like Frank says, don't tell the projects what to do ;-)

Not to say there aren't some powerful synergies to be gained at more
technical levels through OSGeo and some projects are certainly getting used
to depending on OSGeo services, but aside from requests to our systems admin
group, I rarely hear end users, advocates or even developers say OSGeo needs
to do anything further at a technical level (except maybe more benchmarking,
live demo disks or binary package development).

I'm sure there will be some more good discussion over the upcoming months as
to focus and effort.  I see the education side as an obvious common goal,
and marketing as well, but I'm curious to hear more about some of the more
'developer centric' ideas people have in mind. I'm keen to hear further
ideas along Cédric's line of thinking too.

By the way, the Marketing Committee has a mailing list, all are welcome to
join to share ideas and volunteer.  It's been pretty quiet lately, so don't
be shy and come and share your thoughts: