[OSGeo-Discuss] What GeoSpatial Open Source Software do Surveyors use?

Chris Puttick chris.puttick at thehumanjourney.net
Thu Apr 1 04:04:55 PDT 2010

Well we have surveyors trialling Total Open Station into gvSIG and people using Leica's software into gvSIG; I guess here is the message that "into GIS" is a move forward for all but building survey and that there are open source GIS packages well up to the job.

And for building survey? Well, we're doing some work with various open source tools to generate dense point clouds from photos; we think the resulting output could reach millimetre accuracy using known cameras/lenses and with many shots. Photograph, process, measure at your leisure... And a lovely 3D photo-realistic model for client as an output too!

Does that count?

Chris