[OSGeo-Discuss] open source desktop shootout

Seven of Nine (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Sat Apr 10 06:31:11 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 16:04 +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> n Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:

> >> Did I complain?
> >
> > Your email reads very much like a complaint to me. In fact, as your only
> > reply was a complaint about terminology, with no obvious positive
> > feedback for the person who put a lot of work into a nice spreadsheet, I
> > would feel very discouraged personally on reading it -- doubly so since
> > it comes from someone whose opinion is obviously well-respected in the
> > OSGeo community.
>
> It has been a group of authors, I have taken care of a part of the OSGeo related
> packages mentioned in the spreadsheet.
>
> Yes, significant time has been spent on this table compilation.
>
> I have contacted the lead, Tom McConnell, if we can open the editing up to
> more people. Let's wait for his answer.
>
> Markus

As I already said: "Nothing wrong with the spread sheet." I apologize if
this detail did not come out clearly (and was then deleted from the
original posting).

The work done in the spread sheet is very valuable. Another spread sheet
with similar aim and focusing on web mapping was recently posted by
Cameron Shorter:
http://geotux.tuxfamily.org/index.php?option=com_myblog&task=view&id=239&Itemid=59&lang=en

I very much support redistributing, extending and commenting this type
of documents. Ideally in a close context and linked from OSGeo which
might even help make sure that the documents are always up-to-date,
which fits well with OSGeo's goal of maintaining a high quality not only
in software but what goes around it.

But if we do that, I insist that... No. Reformulating: May I ask to
consider that we take care to use the terminology that does not put Open
Source in an inferior position to start with? Advocating Open Source is
hard enough without carrying the context of being
different/new/inferior(!) from a usability point of view. Which is one
connotation that comes with the term COTS - which in my opinion is still
very much associated with proprietary software.

Thank you,
Arnulf