[OSGeo-Discuss] are there any unpaid developers?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Apr 19 20:44:22 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 06:00:45PM -0400, Ian Turton wrote:
> One of my students was asking today about the open source development
> process (with special reference to geospatial projects). One question
> I'm left with is are there any OSGEO developers who are doing this
> just for the fun and fame? I know that a lot of us have fun developing
> but everyone I could think of (GeoTools, GeoServer, uDig) gets paid to
> have that fun.

About 80% of my work on OpenLayers has been entirely unpaid and
unsupported by anyone for the past couple years. The early days of OL
were a MetaCarta project, and some portion of my work time is still done
with support from my employer on open source software, but most of it is
just me spending my own time.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt