[OSGeo-Discuss] are there any unpaid developers?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Apr 20 15:43:11 PDT 2010

Ian Turton wrote:
> One of my students was asking today about the open source development
> process (with special reference to geospatial projects). One question
> I'm left with is are there any OSGEO developers who are doing this
> just for the fun and fame? I know that a lot of us have fun developing
> but everyone I could think of (GeoTools, GeoServer, uDig) gets paid to
> have that fun.

Originally, I started doing it to gain knowledge and real-work experience
as well as for great fun. After a year or two it became my occupation. A
year ago, I moved back to volunteering in my free time, still for
education, experience and fun. My employer also gives me chances to
contribute to some of FOSS4G projects in my work time.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net