[OSGeo-Discuss] GRASS vs OpenJump

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Wed Aug 4 07:16:23 PDT 2010

Faheed:

I'm involved in the development of OpenJUMP and will try to answer a couple of your questions.

Faheed wrote: "I also want to know why OpenJump was not accepted by osgeo."

There isn't any blame to place on OSGeo. There are a couple of reasons why OpenJUMP isn't an OSGeo project, but the main reason is a lack of resources to get through the incubation process. There are currently about 4 people involved with programming/administering OpenJUMP in a semi-regular basis. Our project administrator (Stefan) is a very busy professor, our best programmer (Larry) works for a busy company, our second best programmer (Michael) has moved onto other projects and only helps out because he has mercy on our poor souls, and I just work on OpenJUMP as a hobby.

So there is no one working on OpenJUMP full time. I suspect I'm as involved as anyone, and I'd say I only rack about 8 to 16 hours a month. About ½ of that is slinging code, the other ½ is responding to questions on our mailing lists.

It's hard to justify getting through the hoops for OSGeo incubation when you can barely keep up with the bug reports. It's something we've discussed as an OpenJUMP community several times, but everytime we conclude we lack the resources to make the migration successfully.

If you are really interested in porting GRASS functionality to OpenJUMP, you should subscribe to our developer's mailing list:

I will respond to any specific questions about OpenJUMP programming there. Of course, there are lots of ways to help, not just porting GRASS functionality. We need to test OpenJUMP on the LiveDVD, and write the OpenJUMP LiveDVD documentation. There are also lots of little bugs to squish.

Of course, if you have a strong interest in seeing OpenJUMP become an OSGeo project, and can but some effort into that, we could reconsider our earlier decision to not start the incubation process.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658