[OSGeo-Discuss] Data format frustration - too general!

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 09:57:41 PDT 2010

berryman kirjoitti:
> For instance, I'm not just interested in the location of streets, I'm interested in the location of each lane.  I also need to know how street topology and traffic direction so that I can make path planning determinations.  Finally, it would even be
> ideal if I could encode the location of traffic signals, stop signs,
> bus-only lanes, etc.
>
> I know that these types of encoding must exist somewhere , because my Garmin GPS understands the rules of the streets and can anticipate things coming up.  For instance, it might tell me "stay in the right lane."  Are there standard data formats for encoding this information?  Or is the ability to encode this a non-public extension of some more generic standard?  If so, then how do I go about extending some other standard for my application?

Jody mentioned CityGML, which may have some data model elements for
transportation data, but I believe each agency or company (Garmin,
NavTech, etc) have their own data models. I've used one Finnish
transportation data a bit and its data model was designed specifically
for the purpose by the Finnish government agency for road
admininstration. Interestingly, ESRI has just released a white paper of
highway data management. Google search gives a link to OGC
transportation pilot.

Books on GIS-T describe the ideas behind developing transportation data
models.

Best regards,

Ari