[OSGeo-Discuss] open jump

Stefan Steiniger sstein at geo.uzh.ch
Wed Aug 4 10:17:13 PDT 2010

The question is what you mean by hosting?
If you ask why we are not an OSGeo project then the answer from Yves is
correct: we did not apply.

Although I have written/filled most documents necessary and we also have
people who would support us in the incubation process the problem is
that we simply don't have the resources to put an OSGeo membership into
place. We are a pure voluntary project since a while and almost all of
us work in their free time on improving OpenJUMP. Hence, I don't want to
impose any management and control structures and schedules on any of us,
and I am just happy if one of us founds time to improve OJ.

Subsequently and despite that fact that we had a positive vote for
joining OSGeo about 2 years ago, I decided that every minute spent on
the project is better spent with answering user emails and coding & bug
fixing than with putting in efforts for (i) establishing and maintaining
OSGeo conform management structures, (ii) reviewing code (for license
issues), and (iii) moving infrastructure to OSGeo servers etc. Its not
that I think the OSGeo demands a lot of management overhead, and I
personally see that the OSGeo structures are there to ensure the quality
of software and project management. But we simply don't have the people
that can spend that much time on that (including me).

Fortunately we have been able to run the OpenJUMP/Jump-Pilot project the
way we do now for about 4 years, and I more or less hope it can continue
this way. I also think we worked one the bus-factor ;) so one/I can be
half a year off without any serious implications.

I hope my lengthy answer answers what you want to know. And I also hope
that this email make some people think about all the volunteer efforts
that are done by committed people in the software projects.

cheers,
stefan