[OSGeo-Discuss] New and Noteworthy in OS Geospatial?

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Aug 17 08:28:24 PDT 2010

David,

I've been working on something (I think is interesting) with Linux Phones.  I have GeoMoose/Mapserver running on a phone as a standalone server, and can even print over bluetooth/wifi from the phone.   It's a little research project, but it's interesting to see that most things are simply a configuration exercise.  Very little coding so far.

I may play around with some OL interfaces as well, and/or add some gesture controls to GeoMoose.

The general idea is to run the mapping locally (and in the background as much as possible) if the phone network goes away, and to sync with the home service if/when the network is available.

I'm about 70% done, but it's a filler project and doesn't get a lot of dedicated focus, but I'm overdue on a report about it, so it needs to move along.

bobb

>>> "Fawcett, David (MPCA)" <David.Fawcett at state.mn.us> wrote:

I am working on a presentation focused on, "What's New and Cool in OpenSource Geospatial" for a group of GIS professionals.  This group is most familiar with the proprietary ESRI stack, but there is a growing awareness and interest in OpenSource.

My goal is to introduce people to cool projects or features, highlighting events and improvements from the past year.  I am thinking of categories including software, databases, community, and open data.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas that people have on new or noteworthy developments in OpenSource geospatial.  Think about new projects, new features, optimizations, events, use cases, etc.

Please feel free to email me off-list or just respond to this message.

Thank you very much,

David Fawcett