[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Raster Tracing - What Is Available?

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Thu Feb 4 11:40:48 PST 2010

Is anyone aware of a raster tracing tool for geospatial users released
under an open source license? I'm looking for something similar to:

http://www.vextrasoft.com/vextractor.htm

I found the Autotrace program (http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/), but
it seems to be a little more limited, and not geared to the GIS user.
Vextractor allows you to georeference your tracing output and supports
export of the traced vectors to SHP and DXF.

The price for a single license of Vextractor isn't bad ($99 US), but I'd
love to find a similar open source project. I've thought about trying to
write something up using JTS, but I know it would be a very challenging
project. I'd like to know if any of you have worked on open source
projects in this area.

Thanks for any info.

Landon

Warning: