[OSGeo-Discuss] Auto-cataloging of image files

Simon Cropper (Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd) scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Wed Feb 10 17:15:35 PST 2010

Tyler,

gdaltindex did not work. The Windows EXE does not like 'wildcards' and
does not recognize ECWs.

Your python program looks promising as a catalog of datasets in a
directory but does not create a spatial representation of this
information, which is what I need.

Additional functionality worth considering is the ability feed the
routine OSGeo Project Files for the various open source GIS packages and
have the datasets used extracted and used to create a "project catalog"
with all the relevant metadata. The users could also be allowed to
augment certain fields. A utility like this would be good to reference
what vector and data was used in a project when the information is still
on the system. If you are like me, I am bound by Data Supply Agreements,
which require me to remove the data from my computer once the project is
finished. Prior to deletion it would be great to get as much information
on what was used as possible.

Cheers Simon

Simon Cropper
Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd