[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo maintained ArcSDE (EDN ?) instance

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Feb 11 13:32:05 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 04:20:18PM -0500, Yves Moisan wrote:

> > I think that the costs to doing this would likely be prohibitive, right?
>
> I didn't know it was so costly.  The minimum subscription option (EDN
> license) is $1500 per year but that comes with SDE (as ArcGIS Server I
> believe) : http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/edn/pricing.html.  I
> wouldn't want OSGeo to support that and there's probably no hope of
> getting a freebie from ESRI.

I didn't think you could put a publicly usable SDE on the web with EDN;
"Use the type and number of copies of Software, Data, and Documentation and
access Web Services (i) for which the applicable license fees have been paid,
(ii) for Licensee's own internal use, and (iii) in accordance with Exhibit 1
and the licensed configuration on file as authorized by ESRI or its authorized
distributor."

the 'internal' there seems like setting it up on the web would be
problematic.

And 4.2.a:

"Except as provided herein, Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense,
lend, assign, or time-share Software, Data, Web Services, or Documentation"

So, I think ESRI would rather not do this, based on their license
seeming to explicitly prevent it.

-- Chris

> > The software requires a license, and I expect ESRI wouldn't want to
> > encourage use like this?
>

> > (not to mention the idea of SAC being responsible for maintaining an
> > ArcSDE instance seems costly for no tangible corresponding benefit to
> > OSGeo.)
>
> Thanx for your comments.
>
> Yves

Christopher Schmidt