[OSGeo-Discuss] StackOverflow like GIS website

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Fri Jun 4 15:04:56 EDT 2010

On 4 June 2010 04:05, Adrian Custer wrote:

> As I understand it, the folk behind Stack Overflow have already started
> on plans to expand the design to many other topics---you might want to
> follow the evolution over there and propose a "GIS" forum on the new
> site when it goes live.

The Area 51 site that George set up is actually part of that process.

I'm highly in favour of this proposal.  Many of the most common (and
important) GIS questions are not programming-based, and not on topic for
Stack Overflow.  There is certainly some overlap, but having a dedicated
geospatial answers site would be a boon to many, especially non-geek GIS
users who are easily daunted by Stack Overflow.

Jason